You have to worry about all of 'em!

Trying to cleanly paraphrase my younger and much funnier brother, I will relay his sentiments about having a girl like this: "When you have a boy, you only have to worry about 1 boy. When you have a girl, you have to worry about ALL of 'em!" He also explained to me shortly after his daughter was born that outdoor plumbing is MUCH easier to take care of than indoor plumbing. After Elsie's birth, I almost immediatly began to think about the future- say 14-18 years in the future. I understand the deep feelings when a dad says that his daughter can start dating when she is 34 years old. He says it to be funny, but beneath the humor is angst and fear. I walked into a store a few weeks ago and saw two boys (about 18 years old or so) standing around. They both had exceptionally long hair and several unnatural holes in their faces that could not heal because of the hardware placed in them. Their clothes were grungy and they both smoked. I thought, "That could be any of my boys one day" and said a prayer for both of them as I walked in. Oh- and prayed that my boys would not turn out like them. Then as I walked out later the same two boys were standing there with a little doe-eyed girl who looked about 15 staring up at one of them like he hung the moon. My thoughts towards those boys suddenly had nothing to do with prayers, but more of paralysis; the kind you get when a dad hits you in the back of your skull with a 16 pound sledge hammer. The thoughts of "that could be my son one day" turned to "that could be my daughter"! I immediatly began judging her parents: don't they know what kind of slimy guy their daughter is hanging out with?; don't they care about her?; do they know where she is? I have no idea how this blog entry ends. I want to trust my kids, but I want them to do everything right. I will update this in about 15 years.

4 comments:

Mattdaddy said...

100% accurate, incredibly true post. I'll let you know when those fears lessen... probably on the eleventeenth of Juvember.

Melissa Guay said...

Welcome to the joys of having girls!!!!!!!

Kimberly said...

We heard that one from a friend of ours who has three boys after we had our first girl. It's a terrifying thought!!!! Yikes!

Bakatari said...

I'll be waiting for the update. Good luck!