Deep in your Soul

I love that we have five senses. It's amazing that a smell, a song, or a tase can bring you back to some other place in time. Somehow these are connected deep in my soul and every time (if not overdone) will bring me back there. When I hear a high school band play, I remember the fall nights in my back yard when I would sit in the cherry tree and hear the Farragut High School band practice. The sound of jitterbugs or the smell of smashed lightening bugs (I know- gross but true) bring me back to the old neighborhood also. When I was growing up, I SWEAR every Sunday we would listen to BJ Thomas singing "Peace in the Valley". My mom played the tape so much, I swear it wore out. Granny Shanks had an old Oak Ridge Boys record (yes, record) and we would dance and sing along with them singing "Elvira".

So, I updated the playlist with a few songs we used to listen to growing up. Enjoy! And I added a good version of "Rocky Top" for all to enjoy!

10 comments:

breaking free said...

Abi and her boyfriend came to visit last weekend and while we were driving Elvira came on. Brad thought it strange that Abi and I knew all the words. I was just taken back to seeing Tiny move her arm while she "danced" and carried on.
MAN, I love the fact that we have the family that we have!!
love you

Kimberly said...

We had a couple BJ Thomas records growing up as well!!!

Bakatari said...

Elvira is a great name for a black lab.

Bakatari said...

oh, and I love that song!

Amy said...

My mom used to make us listen to Anne Murray over and over and over. We all know the songs by heart and when we hear them today we think of those long car rides to swim lessons. :)

Amy said...

PS I LOVE the Gambler. Another great one from childhood. :)

Seth said...

Careful talking bad about Ann Murray. She's one of Janey's favorites!

Anonymous said...

You're really on a music kick lately, Seth. I give you a challenge - one time a friend challenged me to think of five songs from each year of my life (as far back as could be remembered, anyway). Songs that instantly transport you back to that year when you hear it. I was able to make my list go all the way back to 1983, when I turned 5.

You should make one! It was fun to do, and it's a fun, nostalgic way to relive your history through music. I challenge you!

Kristen

Kimberly said...

Anne Murray and Air Supply every month in the car 45 minutes to and home from my orthodontists appt.

Kimberly said...

Oh and baby, I totally agree!!!