Deeply

When I was in the Army there were two kinds of field exercises... What I mean is there were two reasons we went out into a training area and slept overnight. 1- We were practicing and training for what we would do during a war; 2- we were facilitating the training for what others would do during a war. Normally when we were doing the second we would try to do as much as the first as possible. But sometimes it wasn't possible. When you aren't practicing for your real mission, it becomes very mundane and makes for a miserable time.

There was one time where we were doing the second and it was miserably cold. We slept in a tent with no heat and it was around 0-5 degrees. About day 5 I woke up in my cot at 4:30 AM and said good morning to Ranger Rick who held down the cot beside me. I mumbled something about how cold it was and how I was getting worn out by the constant cold and would love a cup of coffee. Ranger Rick flipped his feet out of his cot, slipped on his boots, and walked in his long underwear to the next tent over where he poured two cups of coffee and brought one back to me. For some reason I have yet to put my finger on, that was one of the most memorable things anyone has done for me.

Yesterday at work something similar happened. It was about 3 O'Clock and I hadn't eaten lunch. One of the guys I worked with noticed and brought me a can of soup and a
couple slices of bread he had made. For the same mysterious reason it meant a lot to me.

Last night my wife asked why my oldest son was so happy. Lately we haven't seen eye to eye and have ended up butting heads a lot. Last night as I was sitting on the couch, he asked if he could snuggle with me. We lay on the couch for no more than 3 minutes before we had to get up and head to bed. But that little time made the difference in his night. Janey pointed out that I was 'speaking his love language'; I've never read the book, but I can see an advantage in knowing what you can do for people that means a lot to them. I think I need to take a couple minutes every day to give him a hug and see if that makes a difference. I know that cup of soup and coffee touched me deeply.

5 comments:

Jane Anne said...

Thank you for making me think about this.

Eyeglasses & Endzones said...

That is a really sweet story and YES, I have read the book and it is soooo important! I know both of my kids are quality time / things. It is something that we try to do regularly to show them how much we love them!

RLR said...

I really enjoyed reading this post. Speaking the right language is SO important! It may be time for me to read 5LL for kids again, just for the refresher!

MiMi said...

This is so true and strange because I had the same sort of thing happen to me today and I literally stopped and had to think about it for a second. :)

cbogie said...

Gosh, I now recall that I was recommended this book by a chaperone/teacher of the Watoto musical groupe of orphans from Africa that stayed in our home all of 12 (or less) hours a few years back! She really believed in it and used its principles. This was a nice reminder that I should try out that book. And that I should listen and watch for cues from my kids so I can respond better. Thanks for sharing.